I can definitely consider myself among those few ageing people who have witnessed how WordPress has made its way from “Oh another blogging platform” to the emerging CMS across the globe. Over the past few years, the platform has succeeded in overcoming the misconception that traditionally belies it.
At present whether you wish to create a something for blogging or host a website. However, the platform has evolved into much more than that. Being one of the most powerful content management systems that power 31% of the web, WordPress offers some of the best external plugins which can handle a wide range of different file download needs. With the dawn of the internet, anyone can buy literally anything you like online within a few minutes- all thanks to countless WordPress tools at your disposal.
In the following post, I would like to mention some of the few download manager plugins that must be taken into consideration while creating a WordPress website. Marketing verbiage aside, WordPress operates on open-sourced software, allowing its users and developers to contribute to the platform heavily.
Unfortunately, the conventional WordPress user interface wasn’t able to manage file downloads which were not at all easy as a native function couldn’t comprise of half of the features currently available in many of the new and popular WordPress download manager plugins.
Of course, it entirely depends on your needs- if you wish to add password protection, a tracking number of downloads, organize files, and stop unregistered users from accessing files. In addition to this file, download plugin can also be used to track file revisions and even collaborate with a team. And, of course, one shouldn’t forget it is also used to manage and sell digital downloads!
WordPress Download Manager Plugins to Worth Take Into Account
- 1. WordPress Download Manager– The free version of WordPress Download Manager comprises of password protection, limited viewing and works on multiple domains effectively. The package allows users to protect a full package of files, or each specific file in a package by using passwords. Being simple, easy-to-use download manager, it also turns out to be one of the most actively updated WordPress download manager plugins.
- WP-Download Manager– Developed by Lester Chan, the simple download manager plugin doesn’t have a long list of features but it is still considered as a viable option for professionals who don’t wish to create a website for all the bells and whistles.
- WordPress Download Monitor– Featuring intuitive UI allows one to easily upload and manage downloadable files and insert download links to files in posts. The basic goal of the plugin is to help users keep files organized and to provide a way to track files. It comprises several features including:
- Tracks download counts the download attempts
- Allows Members to downloads only
- Add multiple file versions to downloads
- Quick-add panel for adding files
- WordPress Download Monitor comprises of shortcodes to output downloads in different formats including plain text links, buttons, and boxes
- 4. Easy digital loads– If you are seeking an e-commerce solution that assists well in digital downloads? Easy digital loads endeavour hard not only to aid digital downloads but also has the ability to manage multiple files downloaded per downloaded product. Featured with Paypal and manual as the default payment options, but that doesn’t mean you cannot add others by paying. Its key attributes include:
- Cart system for purchasing multiple downloads
- User purchase history
- The ability to re-download files
- Multiple files per download product
- WooCommerce- One of my favourites, WooCommerce is indeed a free plugin that allows one to sell anything, beautifully. Seamlessly integrate with WordPress, WooCommerce gives both store owners and developers complete control and that’s the reason why it is considered as the world’s favourite eCommerce solution. Plus, it has 3+ million active installs.
- Delightful downloads- This download manager, in particular, allows one to easily download links, buttons and download information to posts, pages and widget areas. Developed by Ashley Rich, it currently has 10,000+ active installs with a 4.7 out of 5-star rating. Its key features include:
- File upload via the WordPress admin area.
- Categorize and tag downloads.
- Download statistics tracked within the WordPress dashboard area.
- Shortcodes to display download links, buttons and download the information within posts, pages and widget areas.
- Password protected files.
- WP-Filebase Pro- Starting from secondary categories for files to file detail pages, FTP/DropBox, Amazon S3 sync, extended permissions & file passwords, embedded upload forms, PDF thumbnails, and indexing to improved batch import and syncing, the plugin, in particular, includes such an impressive bunch of features.
- File Manager Plugin for WordPress- With extremely powerful and great user interface available the plugin offers file management, image editor, windows style GUI, Folder access control, user access control, cross-browser compatibility and so forth.
- WordPress File Center- The plugin gives the ability to offer a user login to download files, manage files from the admin panel, secure download for all clients, and stop unwanted users from accessing files and what not!
- Groups File Access WordPress Plugin– It is a premium WordPress Plugin which provides file download links only for its authorized users. All other access to files is restricted, depending on the user’s group membership. The plugin incorporates several features:
- Restrict access to downloads to authorized user groups
- Limited or unlimited number of downloads per user
- Full multisite support
- File management area
- Upload files via FTP and bulk import
- Key authentication file access
- File access notifications (customizable)
- Flexible shortcodes
This is a partial list…. you will come across several plugins that can assist you well to collect leads, generate revenue, provide supportive documentation, or even collaborate with others. WordPress overall is a great platform but adjusting with its native manager leaves a lot of being desired. So what are you sitting tight for? Get in touch with a reputable WordPress development company that can guide you regarding choosing a WordPress download manager.