At Automattic, they call employees as Happiness Engineer!
When it comes to blogging and online content, WordPress is the content managing system, powering a total of 25% of the web. WordPress.com, a hosted version of this powerful open source software, is home to bloggers and site owners from all over the world. In just this last month, over 53 million posts were published on this platform.
When it comes to easily transforming your WordPress site into an online store, WooCommerce is the ultimate solution. These are just two of the projects developed by Automattic, the folks behind WordPress.com and WooCommerce, as well as Jetpack, Simplenote, Cloudup, VaultPress, Akismet, Polldaddy, Gravatar, Simperium, WordPress.com VIP and Longreads.
Automattic’s mission statement — “We are passionate about making the web a better place” — is a great introduction to this unique company. User happiness is their ultimate goal, and this support philosophy drives their progress. One of the main focuses of the support team has been to provide live chat support, working to make it available 24/7. Lucky for you, Automattic is looking for Happiness Engineers from all around the world to expand their team beyond geographical barriers and increase their coverage in various parts of the world.
As a Happiness Engineer, helping people is your passion. What would a typical day for a Happiness Engineer involve?
- Helping people use Automattic’s products, including WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Gravatar, and more
- Troubleshooting, investigating, and creating detailed bug reports
- Crafting and editing helpful support documentation
- Being an active member of a team that provides around the clock support to our users via live chat, forums, and email
- Building a community of support by sharing knowledge and insight amongst team members
What you need as a Happiness Engineer to get on board with Automattic?
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Working knowledge of WordPress, HTML, and CSS
- A knack for taking technical language and making it understandable
- A passion for solving tough problems and proposing elegant solutions
- Being an active member of support forums on WordPress.com and WordPress.org would absolutely work in your favor
The perks of the job title include a completely remote working environment with a home office allowance, a flexible vacation policy, and company travel two to three times per year. For more details please visit this link: Work with Automattic as a Happiness Engineer
Work culture at Automattic and the perks of working with them
Although everyone working for Automattic is spread out all over the world — contributing their share and efforts to make Automattic what it is today — they make it a point to get together (company meetup) once a year for seven days of brainstorming, having fun, and enjoying the company of the people they work with all day from different parts of the world (United States, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Iceland, Bulgaria, Australia, and more).
Apart from the company meetup, teams get together for several days (5-7 days) of bonding in locales ranging from Boulder, CO to Buenos Aires, Las Vegas, NV to Lisbon, and Montreal to Mexico City. Here’s a peek at their gang teaming up for some fun during their company meetups and team get-togethers.
So gear up, dust off your passport & choose your own adventure with Automattic.
At Automattic – The Work You Produce Matters More Than The Hours You Put In