The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force in May 2018.
Website owners have been trying to comply with it since then. Recently, the regulatory body has started levying heavy fines for non-compliant websites. That has caused the website owners to become serious about it.
A few weeks ago, PwC (PriceWaterhouseCoopers) was fined for non-compliance. The total penalties were around EUR 150,000.
Lack of tools and information are two big reasons why most site owners struggle to comply with GDPR.
Thankfully, WordPress websites have it a little easy. The WordPress.org plugin repository has many WordPress GDPR plugins that can help you comply. All these are completely free plugins. However, some of these also have a premium version.
In this article, we’ll look at the 11 such plugins.
It has two advantages over WP Autoterms. One, it comes with 25+ legal policy page templates. And two, it makes the job of updating templates easy. You only need to add your business information in one place to update all the templates.
- Generate Privacy & DMCA Policy pages
- Easy to install, use, and update.
- Includes 25+ customizable legal page templates.
- Shows third-party cookie audit table using the GDPR Cookie Consent Plugin.
- Force users to agree to a policy before they can access the page.
2. WP Autoterms
WP Autoterms is one of the most downloaded WordPress GDPR compliance plugins.
- Create custom policy pages and manage them.
- Inform users whenever you update your legal policy pages.
- Create & show a cookie consent notice to website visitors.
- Generate affiliate disclaimers.
Total GDPR Compliance WordPress plugin helps you to make your site EU GDPR compatible with the single plugin and multiple user configurations. It is an ideal plugin for all in one EU GDPR regulation solutions. If you are feeling confused or worried about the GDPR law, don’t know what to do and how to do it, leave it to experts.
Integrate GDPR Compliance Plugin into your WordPress site and make your site compatible with all EU GDPR regulations in one click. With this plugin, you can be safe from all the possible infringement and consequences.
- Ability to add “Floating Advanced Cookie Control Form”.
- Ability to Dynamically Control the Advanced Cookies Through “Services” Post.
- Custom Cookie Category.
- Option to Show Cookie to Visitor Outside EU or Not.
- Built with the European Union’s GDPR Compliance Law in Considerations.
- Compatible to Almost all of the European Union’s(EU) GDPR Regulations.
- 3 Different Layouts and 30+ Cookie Templates.
- Consent for Default WordPress Sections & Third-Party Plugins.
Note that, this is an old plugin and has not been updated for the last 4 years. However, it has 6,000+ active installs. It’s recommended to use plugins compatible with the latest version of WordPress.
- Provides shortcodes to add this text to any page of your choice.
- Optionally you can also add these pages to your navigation menus.
GDPR Consent Plugins
The Ninja GDPR plugin comes with 10+ consents for GDPR.
You can request for consent either using popups. This plugin does not come with predefined templates. But allows you to add shortcodes to your existing pages.
- Requests consent for cookies, privacy, and terms & conditions agreement.
- Allows users to request access. rectify and removal of personal data from your website.
- Allows admins to notify users about a data breach.
The WP Cookie Notice WordPress plugin is an All-in-One Cookie Notice & consent plugin for GDPR, CCPA & ePrivacy. It complies with European Union’s ICO guidelines. For CCPA, it has “Do Not Sell” Option. For GDPR, it has blocking before consent as well as granular options to enable only specific categories of cookies. It is powerful with lot of options to tailor the solution as per your requirement. You can also auto-opt users if they use or scroll the webpage.
The plugin has both options – to manually add cookie information as well as to automatically scan your website cookies. Learn more about its features below:
- Manually add, edit or delete website cookies.
- Manually add, edit or delete third-party cookie audit table.
- Show ICO compliant cookie consent notice to website visitors.
- CCPA – Do Not Sell Option.
- Option to change the consent
- Make Website Forms GDRP Compliant (Works with popular Forms Plugins in WordPress – Ninja Forms, Contact Form 7, Gravity Forms, WP Forms)
- Scan the website for own and third-party cookies.
- Store cookie consent log.
- Do No Sell Statistics and Logs
- Premium Skins and Advanced Options
- Auto Accept on Browse or Scroll
- Granular Consent Choice for User to choose which category of cookies to allow
- Premium Design Templates
- Customize dseign of the cookie consent notice.
GDPR Cookie Consent Banner is a popular WordPress plugin.
- Banner text is translatable in English, Polish, Russian, Slovakian and Italian.
The Cookie Notice for GDPR plugin provides extensive options to customize the cookie consent bar.
- Accepts consent on window scroll. Scroll offset is configurable.
- Manually blocks scripts from loading.
- Reloads the page after cookies are accepted.
- Custom cookie notice bar position, styles & content.
Right To Be Forgotten Plugins
The GDPR Framework is an easy to use GDPR WordPress plugin. It comes with a setup wizard to set up your privacy and other policies.
- Provides an interface that allows users to view, access and delete personal data. A user need not have an account to perform these actions.
- Comes with an interface to track, manage, and withdraw cookie consent anytime.
The Delete Me plugin allows WordPress users with specific roles to delete their profile and personal information.
- Customizable shortcode for the delete link.
- Give delete access to specific user roles.
- Email notification on user delete.
- Multi-site compatible.
The WP GDPR Compliance plugin comes with integrations for other WordPress plugins that collect user data.
- Request consent from website visitors and give them full access to their data.
- Keep a consent log.
- Works with WordPress comment form, WooCommerce, Contact Form 7, and Gravity Forms.
The WordPress GDPR plugin is a great tool to help comply with the GDPR (DSGVO) and CCPA compliance of your WordPress website. It helps to ensure that your website handles the cookies within it including the third-party ones as per the GDPR guidelines. The plugin is available in both its free and premium versions.
- Fully customizable Cookie Consent Banner
- Auto-script blocker (third-party plugins)
- Manual cookie audit
- Shortcode to display cookielist
- Automatic cookie scan and cookie categorization
- Provides users’ with granular control over cookies
- Auto-script blocking (supports large number of third-party plugins)
- Geo IP based Cookie notice exclusion
- Storage of cookie consent log
No plugin can assure 100% GDPR compliance. However, installing a plugin can help you get started on the path to GDPR compliance. But it’s always a good option to hire legal help or a GDPR consultant.
However, if you’re on a tight budget, these WordPress plugins can help. Most likely you’ll need to choose more than plugin to start the compliance process. Choose a set of plugins that best suits your budget.
The plugins you choose will depend on the data you collect and store from your website visitors.
Do you know about other GDPR WordPress plugins for making your website GDPR compliant? Tell us about them in the comments section below.