The Definition Series is back and today I am going to explain you what is a WordPress Theme.
Before me explaining what is a WordPress theme, let’s see what is the definition of a theme is.
The definition by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary states that:
So, when we club a and b part together, we can say that a theme is a subject or a topic which has distinctive quality and characteristic or a trait that sets it apart.
Like you have Halloween themed parties. Where you dress weirdly, put wacky makeup, etc. – that’s a ‘theme’ of the party.
So what is a WordPress Theme?
In WordPress, a theme is defined as a collection of files like the templates and stylesheets that work together to define the appearance and unified design of a WordPress powered website.
In dead simple words, a WordPress theme is the outer layout of your site.
If we change the WordPress theme, the whole layout of your site will change. You can find themes in the WordPress admin area (Appearance>Themes), where you can change, manage or add new themes. The default WordPress has only a limited number of themes available. If you want to change your WordPress theme, you’ll find a lot of free one at WordPress.org Themes Directory.
As a theme is a characteristics of a subject, let’s discuss the characteristics of a WordPress theme.
- A WordPress theme can have different layouts, such as static or responsive or can have multiple columns
- It allows you to customize your content by customizing typography, colors, widget locations, etc.
- It allows you to display content where ever you want the content to be displayed on the site
- It allows you to add design elements using CSS and also add design elements like images and videos
A WordPress theme is a powerful element in your site. A good theme improves the look and feel of your site and helps in improving user enagagement along with your website’s content. So, always invest in a good WordPress theme.
- How to choose the best WordPress theme for your site
- Best One Page WordPress Themes in 2017
- Create One page WordPress website